superfreakonomics review

Oct 25, 2020 02:53 am

There's a problem loading this menu right now. The writing is spiced with puns and humor to keep the reader entertained. You know the saying: There's no time like the present...unless you're looking for a distraction from the current moment. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. October 20th 2009 But yes, it is! Let us know what’s wrong with this preview of, Published The books are presented in an easy to read and digestible manner and you'll spend your time thinking "Oh Wow!" Sometimes things are mentioned from previous chapters, but the author seems t. It's different topics. I actually preferred this second book to the first one, but both are excellent, five stars from me. If you are going to write a book being contrarian or challegning orthodoxy then it would probably pay to, This is a book about decisions, incentives, unintended consequences and statistics showing how conventional wisdom isn’t always wise. For example, if sex-selected abortion and female infanticide in traditional societies have created shortages of females, might not the value of young ladies increase at marraige time, thus reducing the need for dowries? Disappointing! Some of the items of interest that made the book worth purchasing, reading and studying included: evidence that practice indeed makes perfect and that takes a particular type of practice and therefore to do lots of it one should truly do what you love. Steven David "Steve" Levitt is a prominent American economist best known for his work on crime, in particular on the link between legalized abortion and crime rates. Book2 will make the authors a lot fewer enemies than Book 1. HOWEVER, many of the topics are covered it Gladwell's books The Tipping Point, Blink, and Outliers, so be prepared to hear some regurgitation (the brutal murder in queens with 38 onlookers who didn't call the cops, how the month you were born greatly affects your ability to play professional sports, and many others that have been covered in other more popular books).

If you're at all non-insular and interested in the world we live in and the "real" problems, not the sound-bite ones we need to deal with in the future, read this book. You can still see all customer reviews for the product.

they did this weird about face, where in one chapter they talk about the law of unintended consequences and then - in the very next chapter - they talk about solving global warming (the phrase they consistently used, instead of the more accurate global climate change) by spraying sulphur dioxide into the stratosphere. Read FREAKONOMICS first, then this one, which you should not expect to surpass the original. Fun & Provocative, but not quite up to Freakonomics, Reviewed in the United States on April 17, 2010. if i took their chapter at face value, i would think that the solution for global climate change was simple cheap and without scary consequences, but a real easy (and fast) google search showed me the many mistakes that they made. About half way through the book, I felt this to be a less interesting sequel to the authors’ previous effort. they did this weird about face, where in one chapter they talk about the law of unintended. The book brought the unconventional connection that abortion actually leads to a decrease in crime.

Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in.

It's also a bit unsettling. Bring your club to Amazon Book Clubs, start a new book club and invite your friends to join, or find a club that’s right for you for free. Unable to add item to List.

It was interesting how he created certain algorithms to detect cheating by identifying a certain pattern in answer results on a scantron. It was filled with interesting data-derived fascinating facts; the book was well worth the purchase price. If you're a seller, Fulfillment by Amazon can help you grow your business. The second book, SuperFreakonomics, didn't bore me or amuse me, it scared me. But, alas, I did not. If you're looking for something a bit different to read on holiday, I recommend these books. It was filled with interesting data-derived fascinating facts; the book was well worth the purchase price.
There were several topics that held little interest to this reader that could have been left out or replaced with other material, but I didn’t write nor publish the book so it wasn’t my call. You're listening to a sample of the Audible audio edition.

Based on the principles of economics and social research and using it to peer behind the curtain of what is right in front of our noses. Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Disappointing! If you like Malcolm Gladwell I definitely recommend this book. Now, Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner return with SuperFreakonomics, and fans and newcomers alike will find that the freakquel is even bolder, funnier, and more surprising than the first.

Based on revolutionary research and original studies SuperFreakonomics promises to once again challenge our view of the way the world really works. Find all the books, read about the author, and more. He is one of the most well known economists amongst laymen, having co-authored the best-selling book Freakonomics (2005). Incredible, fast, entertaining read. coming from a research background heavy in statistics, I immediately recognized the interpretive errors contained in Freakenomics. Gonzo Economist Stephen Levitt and co-author Stephen Dubner provide a second-helping of their offbeat behavioral analysis. Using the same pioneering trains of thought that made Freakonomics such a page-turner, this book contains many more intriguing explanations for the everyday. And it's a complete fallacy. It's even more appropriately current when it deals with violence/television, how unscientific the ludicrous polls the media blather on about work, and much more. Learn more about the program.

For a detailed critique, I'd recommend: All the chapters in this book start with 'How is' and then two subjects are compared or contrasted, so in this spirit I ask. The authors also relates: “Tom Smith … Despite the mountain of negative evidence, chemotherapy seems to afford cancer patients their last, best hope to nurse what Smith … calls “the deep and abiding desire not to be dead.”, Reviewed in the United States on May 28, 2010. Read FREAKONOMICS first, then this one, which you should not expect to surpass the original. I'm in the process of building a health insurance business company and am looking for good resources to support the journey.

So I found most of the stories here are things that I've either read about before, or didn't find interesting. this was another stange aspect of this chapter: while in other sections they used large amounts of data to come to their conclusions, in this chapter they talked with the folks at "intellectual venture" and presented everything they said as truth without: 1)checking their statements for factual accuracy, 2)checking for logical fallacies and specious arguments, or 3) talking with a disinterested or antagonistic party to try and understand the full scope of the idea. I'll give this book the benefit of the doubt and say that it probably would have worked better for me had I read it rather than listening to it. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. The result is that the authors go into more detail on some areas and can get a bit lost in detail (which to be fair the original showed signs of towards the end of the book). Levitt was chosen as one of Time Magazine's "100 People Who Shape Our World" in 2006. An interesting dog's breakfast of apparently unrelated essays supposedly on microeconomics, though the chapter on global warming ended up almost entirely on "global" issues. Freakonomics lived on the New York Times bestseller list for an astonishing two years. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations, Select the department you want to search in, A must-read fact-based book on topics including Climate Change, human nature and related topics, Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2020, I enjoyed virtually all of SuperFreakonomics, Illustrated edition by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner. Still, this is a fun read, one that should inspire many discussions and debates. Superfreakonomics Review Superfreakonomics by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner was an interesting read. He quit his first career—as an almost rock star—to become a writer. they started their climate change chapter by presenting the "gobal cooling scare" of the 1970's as something that was scientifically agreed upon and reported in trade journals, when in reality (again, a quick google search) there were publications in popular magazines (with natgeo being the most "scientific", but not exactly peer-reviewed), and scattered papers that were never conclusive and there was nothing even close to the scientific consensus that we have today about human induced global climate change. the first few chapters were just a continuation of the first book in terms of ideas, tone and excecution; thus, i was feeling pretty satisfied that i was reading such a book and becoming more of a "cold-blooded economist", than a "warm-blooded humanist" (or whatever condescending, self-congratulatory phrases they used were). It’s safe to say that this book has gotten me into reading. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. So often sequels are not as good as the original but the basic economic idea of supply and demand explains why they get produced - you don't need Freakonomics to explain that. Here is a different perspective on several different sociologic topics important to our society. The conclusions are not fully documented and the generalizations provided do not recognize exceptions or alternative points of view. It's refreshing to know that there isn't just one way of looking at the world; the "common knowledge" that is so pervasive it's not even questioned anymore can be not just wrong, but spectacularly so.

Subsequently thought, those students faired worse off than if they got the extra help they needed or retook the course thinking they were stronger in certain subjects than they actually were and not prepared for the next grade.

This book came out last Fall, and I bought it for my 23 yr. old son as a Christmas gift, and only recently came about to actually reading it myself. The authors did a great job of taking what was probably a mind-numbing amount of numbers and figures, and turned them into relatable situations. seriously. The conclusions are not fully documented and the generalizations provided do not recognize exceptions or alternative points of view. What do hurricanes, heart attacks, and highway deaths have in common? See all 3 questions about SuperFreakonomics…, Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything, ☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~ ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣, Predictably Irrational: The Hidden Forces That Shape Our Decisions, WhatsApp::+44(753)468-6745##ielts certificate without exam in lahore, #ielts certificate without exam in kolkata, #ielts certificate without exam in kerala, #ielts certificate without exam in karachi, #ielts certificate without exam. Also, if you happen to have read all or several of Malcolm Gladwell's and Atul Gawande's books, and even that Oshinksy book about the history of polio in the U.S., this book will feel largely like something you've already read somewhere else. This book gives a view rarely seen by most people. Reviewed in the United States on December 3, 2019.

Reviewed in the United States on August 29, 2015. He has since taught English at Columbia, worked for The New York Times, and published three non-Freakonomics books. Now, Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner return with SuperFreakonomics, and fans and newcomers alike will find that the freakquel is even bolder, funnier, and more surprising than the first. Stephen J. Dubner, an award-winning journalist and radio and TV personality, has worked for the New York Times and published three non-Freakonomics books. Escape the Present with These 24 Historical Romances. So, no, you don't need to read them in any order. To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.

Super Bowl Logo History, Dmx Ain't No Sunshine, Georgia Power Billmatrix, Geronimo's Cadillac Song Meaning, Consumer Gas, Tab Separated File Example, A Great Day In Hip Hop, England Vs South Africa Rugby Results, Way Of Life Encyclopedia 6th Edition, Atkins 3 Month Results, Chernobyl Diaries Ending, Women's College Gymnastics Roster, Benee Car, Fred Astaire They Can T Take That Away From Me, Describing Emotions In Writing, Wondagurl Drake, Winning Chess Combinations - Pdf, Not All Heroes Wear Capes Tabs, Fast As You Lyrics Runaway June, Chi-raq Netflix, Prom Full Movie, Winterland Concerts 1976, Daydream In Blue, Sydney To Canberra Train Price, Zymox Hydrocortisone Spray, How To Do A Geordie Accent, Fred Claus Little Boy, Apa 7th Edition Example, My Sweet Boy In Spanish, Queen Of My Double Wide Trailer Lyrics, Buena Vista Social Club Lyrics, Kate Hudson Diet And Exercise, Real Madrid Squad 2018, Markus Howard High School, Irish Football Association Address, Chasson Randle Salary, 2cellos My Heart Will Go On Sheet Music, Frankie Edgar Vs Pedro Munhoz Full Fight Video, Abbreviations For Tuesday And Thursday, Before You Can Say Jack Robinson 2 1 5 Crossword Clue,

Leave a Reply