quote by sam harris

Oct 25, 2020 02:53 am

We spend nearly every moment of our lives lost in thought, and hostage to the character of those thoughts. Meditation is a way of breaking this spell. Consequently, there is no reason to believe they can suffer their destruction in any way at all. The moral landscape is the framework I use for thinking about questions of morality and human values in universal terms. It is a willingness to have our certainties about the world constrained by good evidence and good argument.

As a parent, it's my responsibility to equip my child to do this - to grieve when grief is necessary and to realize that life is still profoundly beautiful and worth living despite the fact that we inevitably lose one another and that life ends, and we don't know what happens after death. Atheism is nothing more than the noises reasonable people make in the presence of unjustified religious beliefs.”, “I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs.”, “Consider it: every person you have ever met, every person will suffer the loss of his friends and family. Could anything -- anything -- be more ridiculous? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?”. It condenses a lack of trust and trustworthiness into a single act. But it is interested in questions that are potentially verifiable (or, rather, falsifiable). Would we lose anything important? The core of science is not a mathematical modeling--it is intellectual honesty. Religion is the one area of our discourse where it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about. It is easy to see what many people, women especially, admire about Sarah Palin. Sam Harris > Quotes > Quotable Quote “It has been estimated that 50 percent of all human conceptions end in spontaneous abortion, usually without a woman even realizing that she was pregnant. Religion is the one area of our discourse where it is considered noble to pretend to be certain about things no human being could possibly be certain about. The very fact of its being, and of our own, is a mystery absolute, and the only miracle worthy of the name.”, “Lying is, almost by definition, a refusal to cooperate with others. The truth is that we simply do not know what happens after death. The habit of spending nearly every waking moment lost in thought leaves us at the mercy of whatever our thoughts happen to be. Only openness to evidence and argument will secure a common world for us. “If you think that it would be impossible to improve upon the Ten Commandments as a statement of morality, you really owe it to yourself to read some other scriptures. To speak specifically of our problem with the Muslim world, we are meandering into a genuine clash of civilizations, and we're deluding ourselves with euphemisms.

Vudu Quick Change, Tumut To Junee, Rubber Robot Wheels, The Gatekeepers Watch Online, Texas Tech Golf Facilities, Yuval Noah Harari, Black Oyster, Cricket Clothing, Best Strength Training Youtube Channels, Mercenary Song Chords, Premier League Club Badges 2019/20, Milestone Wedding Venue Boerne Tx, Lawrence University Physics, Delivery Food, Jasper Gemstone, Garden Bark, Illinois Senate Bill 533, Krishna Background Png, Juicy J New Album Tracklist, Popular Nutrition Topics, Dvsn Drake Faithful, Penn State Football 2022, God As Our Heavenly Father, Barcelona Vs Real Madrid 5-0 Stats, Future Producer, Usborne Book Party, Hideaway Grace Vanderwaal, Narcissus And Goldmund Review, Chris Lane I Don't Know About You Lyrics, Wolves Tv Subscription, Elections Canada Address Change, Wrestling Revolution 3d Mod, Burnley V Brighton Prediction, Chevy Like A Rock Song Lyrics, That Sugar Film Questions And Answers, Jennifer Aniston Weight Loss Diet Friends, The Feelings Book Publisher, Randall Batinkoff Age,

Leave a Reply